Oceans...

So, for those of you that don't know... I am a BEACH GIRL!!! If I could pitch tent or a shack on a beach and just live I would! Who wouldn't, right?? Shack on a beach is everyone's paradise isn't it? Well maybe not but its mine and its what inspired my writing today, so I hope you enjoy and can imagine that you hear the sounds of the waves... Not sure about you but I am pretty sure they are saying "Sarah, come to the beach, the waters warm and the sand is soft..." hahahaha

 Growing up my family didn't take many vacations... only a couple that I can vividly recall actually. These vacations were to a bay house, in the gulf, near Port Lavaca, TX. We would load up in the station wagon and head down to the bay house with Uncles, Aunts, cousins, and of course Bema and Papaw. We always arrived to the bay house (keep in mind this was no Ritz Carlton, not even a Motel 6... but it looked like a dream house to me!) with all the shutters battened down and everything needing aired out, my Mom and Aunt always set to work doing this as soon as we arrived. My Dad and Uncles would go around and open all the heavy wooden shutters, while us kids would run in and pick out what bed to sleep in (the house was simple, kitchen, bathroom, couple of small rooms with a bed, Bema and Papaw always had one of those rooms, then one large room or rather screened in porch lined with beds - or from my childhood eye that's what I remember it looking like). Normally, we didn't go down to the bay that first night, we would have to patiently wait until the next day. I remember the excitement, much like the thrill of Christmas Eve, as I fell asleep in that giant (or atleast I felt like it was) room with so many people I loved so much, anxious to go to the beach the next day.

Finally, it was morning! Mom and my aunt made us fruit pancakes and then we waited for the mosquito trucks to come by and spray so we could go outside (you will get eaten ALIVE if you don't wait for those blessed truck to come by). Then it came, time to head down to the beach... my feet could barely keep from running, I could not wait to feel the rough sand under my toes, see what sea shells we would find, see how far I would be brave enough to go out in the ocean, but my favorite thing of all.... was the beach at night!! My dad would dig a firepit and we would sit around listening to waves of bay. While we sat around the fire my Dad, Uncles, and Papaw would stand for what felt like hours seining for shrimp. When it was time to drag the net a shore, all of us kids would gather around to see what exciting things where in the net; shrimp of course, blow fish, star fish, and little crabs of all sorts. What precious memories I have of that rickety old bay house and the Gulf. These early memories of the beach are why I love it so much, I can't help but find great comfort, peace, and just be in awe of God when I stand at the edge of the ocean listening, feeling, smelling, remembering sweet memories...

Something very important my parents taught me on those vacations was that while during times of calm and daylight the ocean was a wonderful, exciting place to explore, but with out the safety of peaceful clear skies and daylight the ocean could be a very very dangerous, scary, and down right terrifying place to be. Praise the Lord we never experienced any tragedies involving the scary side of the ocean (except for the loss of a beloved dolphin ring floaty that was lost to sea *tear*), because we were never allowed to be alone. Our parents watched over us closely, holding our hands, lathering on bright colored sun screen, and strapping on flotation devices big enough to keep a small raft afloat! So what does all this ocean talk have to do with encouraging you today??

There are lots of things I believe God taught me through these ocean experiences but I feel like there are three that stand out just encouraging me and causing me to draw closer to my Heavenly Father today...

1. God did not design us to live in darkness nor the fear of darkness.
Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
Matthew 5:14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
John 1:4-5 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Much like the ocean this world is a wonderful place to explore and discover the wonder of God. Sadly because of Satan and Sin it is also a place that can be dangerous, painful, and even life threatening. God shows us through his word that we don't have live in that darkness though... we can choose to live in His light! The light of His salvation and assurance. We do not need to fear the darkness, because darkness can't not overcome the light, and we have God's light in us!! PRAISE GOD!!! Let it shine!

 2. God did not plan for us to live in turmoil nor the fear of "what if."
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Isaiah 55:12 “For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. 
Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation, who shall fear? The Lord is my stronghold of my life, whom shall I be afraid?
Yes we will face turmoil, unexpected tragedy, and difficult situations in life but we do not have to stay stuck in those places!! God doesn't want us to be chained to these events, he wants us to learn from them but then anchor our hearts to HIS promises... future, hope, peace, singing, joy, light, and Salvation! We do not have to be afraid of what is happening or whats to come! God knows the last chapter and for his children it will not be tumultuous!!  It will be VICTORIOUS!

 3. God never intended that we would walk this life alone!
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleans us from all sin.

Genesis 2:18 Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.
We are not meant to be lonely, why do we allow loneliness to overshadow our lives?  Obviously we see in God's word he created us for community, for connection to others. So, loneliness is not a helpless life sentence but rather a self inflicted one. We must trust God in our relationships as we cautiously step away from the cocoon of loneliness we have encased ourselves in and embrace the connection with others that God created us for!

This dear friends is so much easier to write about this than apply it... Its easier to wallow in self pity, loneliness, and fear but oh how miserable and sad our lives will be! Freedom and Salvation is in The Light, is in trusting God rather than your situation, and in building relationships that are more than just a fake smile on a Sunday morning... I am praying for you friend as I hope you are praying for me. Lets not take the ocean of God's truth lightly, as simple words... let is soak into you, wash over you, refresh you, let it keep you afloat today!


Until next week...

Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It all starts with the heart...

Laundry Lessons

Joyfully Present